Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

I remember September 11, 2001 like it was yesterday. The morning was unusually sunny and my whole family was up even though it was early for us. I was 11 years old and just started sixth grade. My dad’s friend called us and to us to turn on the TV because someone attacked the world trade center. When my dad told me I thought he was joking. I just couldn’t believe that we could be attacked. I was only 11 but I remember the fear just rushing through me. I was so scared and it was a fear I had never felt before. When we turned on the news the first plane had already hit and no one knew then exactly what had happened. Then the second plane hit and I just started balling. I did not want to go to school that day for fear of something happening at home. New York is thousands of miles away from my hometown but I felt at that moment it could have been my next-door neighbor and we were next. I went to school against my wishes because my mom thought the normalcy would do me good. I can’t say she made a poor decision or not because I don’t know what I would have done as a parent. The school was practically turned upside down with fear. The students were all crying wondering if a plane was going to attack the elementary school. The teachers were trying to remain as composed as possible. One sixth grade teacher though couldn’t remain composed, her friend was on one of the flights and she had spoken to her before she boarded the plane. I to this day still think of Miss LaMotte and wonder how she is doing because it affected me so much.

In all honesty I can’t believe ten years has passed, it seems like it was just yesterday while seeming like a lifetime ago. I will be forever changed because of it. We’ve been at war for 10 years time and at the moment feels like it will be another 10 years before we are done. I am so thankful for our military and all the sacrifices them and their families have made over the years not just since 9/11. When I was in 6th grade I never imagined the war would truly surround me in everyday life. Now my step dad, husband, and friends are Marines. My step dad and husband are not in combat but I have friends whose husbands are and I just hope everyday that they come home safely. My step dad has seen combat numerous times already and each time he goes my mom just has to hope for the best and when she doesn’t hear from him for weeks at a time know in her heart that no news is good news. My husband wants to retire from the Marine Corps so I know someday I will be faced with a combat deployment. Even though I’m not religious I just have to have faith that he is trained to the best of his abilities and will come home safe.

I think too many people take their lives and material things for granted. Who cares if so and so has a nice car or a fancy purse that is not what’s important in life. When you reflect on the life you lived you don’t reflect on the fancy goods you once owned but the memories you made and the people in your life. It hurts me to think about how so many people have such ill will against the military and even their country. People are so quick to bash ideas and politics but when it comes down to action you don’t see them signing up to risk their lives. So many of our military risk their lives not for the job but because they love their country and know they need to do something about it. I hope for our country’s sake people start to open their eyes and soon and see what it really means to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment